Screed - how much sand/cement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rather wobbly concrete floor which needs levelling before I lay reclaimed parquet on it.

It's too deep for floor levelling compound, so the plan was to lay a concrete screed. I've around 20sqm to cover with 40mm of screed at the deepest points, I reckon just over half a cubic meter in total.

Does anyone know how I can work out how much sand/cement to buy for this (I'm assuming a 3:1 ratio)?

many thanks,

Ross

Sponsored Links
If it's approx 20sq m and 40mm deep then you're going to need approx 0.8m3 of sand. 3:1 sounds a bit high, I would have gone for 4:1 but it's going to be there or there abouts. You'll need about 7 bags of cement with that quantity of sand.

You need to make sure the concrete base is not too porous - pour some water on it to see how quickly it soaks in. If it soaks away quite rapidly it's worth sealing with some PVA solution.

It's 40mm at the deepest point so I would use pva anyway to bond to the sub-floor. When you go less than 40mm the screed can lift as it dries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back