Screeded floors - OK to use the rooms after it's set?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would be grateful for your views on using rooms that have recently been screeded (to 100mm depth laid on 100mm insulation with damp proof course beneath).

I know that the screed should not be walked on for the first few days and that's not a problem. I also understand the need to wait several weeks to allow moisture to evaporate before applying the final floor finish, sheet vinyl.

My question is: after the first few days, can the rooms be used or will that cause problems of some sort? For instance, should something (breathable?) be laid over the screeded floors to prevent dust being kicked up? Or will dust not be an issue?

Thanks for your consideration.

Sponsored Links
I'd let the screed dry for a week or two. TBH the biggest issue is dust - cement screeds generate a lot of very fine dust if you walk over them (a nuisance, but little more) and you shouldn't cover them at all because that slows down the rate of curing (and evaporation)

A week or two? A lot longer then that. Drying time will be 100- 150 days for 100mm depending on drying conditions.
You need to do a moisture test after 6 weeks and see how it's drying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back