Screeding for kardean flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
my new extension is approx. 24sqm. I want to lay Kardean down (please don't remind me about the lack of guarantee when you diy karndean).
Now, its going to require a screed seeing as its just a new and bare concrete floor at the mo.
I don't really know anything about screeds, so:
1. Is it a wet mix, similar to levelling compound (which i've used before)?
2. I saw on tv a guy screeding a fireplace, but it looked like dry mix, which when worked a little became almost moist (?)
3. What's the max depth i could screed?
4. Once screeded, can i lay the flooring straight onto that or put some 4mm ply down 1st?
5. Karndean, Amtico, Polyflor. Which one to choose? Using to cover extension which has french doors to the back garden, so could have wet and muddy trotters traypsing through it. Same for kitchen i suppose.

Thanks for any help. :)

Sponsored Links
first things first! How deep do you need your screed to be?

In other words are you trying to get the subfloor smooth and flat or raise it by say 50mm?

first things first! How deep do you need your screed to be?

In other words are you trying to get the subfloor smooth and flat or raise it by say 50mm?

I heard ya the first time dude! :LOL:

Err...i don't know how deep it need to be tbh, i just know/believe it needs screeding before laying karndean type flooring.
Its really to supply a decent subfloor, although when i knock down the wall into kitchen and remove the existing kitchen tilles i'm gonna want both floors to be level with each other, so no doubt there will be some depth filling to do i guess.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back