screw caps? why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
why do diy sheds supply their own brand stuff with little plastic caps that cover the screws up?? These are simply an irritation. You have to use them, because it looks stupid without them, as they sink the screw heads right into the plate. Then when it comes to taking off the fixture to redecorate, or just to fix a loose connection, you chew up the cap trying to prise it out, and scratch the face of the fixture. Oh, then you need a new one, how convenient, because your going to go back to the shed for a new one! brilliant!

also, when im working inside my computer, i no longer have a convenient earthing point :evil: it is just a big inconvenience.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
why do diy sheds supply their own brand stuff with little plastic caps that cover the screws up?? These are simply an irritation. You have to use them, because it looks stupid without them, as they sink the screw heads right into the plate. Then when it comes to taking off the fixture to redecorate, or just to fix a loose connection, you chew up the cap trying to prise it out, and scratch the face of the fixture. Oh, then you need a new one, how convenient, because your going to go back to the shed for a new one! brilliant!
Nobody holds a gun to your head. You do have the option of buying a different make...

also, when im working inside my computer, i no longer have a convenient earthing point :evil: it is just a big inconvenience.
How do you connect the croc-clip of a wristband to the retaining screw of a wiring accessory? How do you know that the screw is earthed anyway?

This is the only way to do it:

C340756-01.jpg

no, BAS, i dont have a earthing band thing, im not made of money. i just touch the screw, then hope nothing charges me up while im working! its only my computer anyway, and look, it works! ;) and i know its earthed because i wired the switch up, the earth wire is connected to the back box, screws nice and tight etc. I didnt buy the cheap tat accessory anyway. someone bought it for me because its the cheapest :rolleyes: im just complaining about the design of it.

crafty1289 said:

I have worked on pc's for the last 20 odd years, never have bothered with all that earthing nonsense, just earth against the chasis before commencing work inside. Never had anything damaged.

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
crafty1289 said:

I have worked on pc's for the last 20 odd years, never have bothered with all that earthing nonsense, just earth against the chasis before commencing work inside. Never had anything damaged.
i usually do the same... altho i sometimes use my wrist strap (which is earthed via earth pin in a socket

OK.

More to computing than PCs, though, and if you've got your hands inside one worth millions, you aren't going to d**k around without proper ESD precautions....

crafty1289 said:
why do diy sheds supply their own brand stuff with little plastic caps that cover the screws up?? These are simply an irritation. You have to use them, because it looks stupid without them

I guess you're talking about light switches or other accesories. As ban says, you don't have to use them, use what you want! Personally I do use them, in my own place at least, because I think it looks neater. If I had to remove it for fault finding etc I'd just replace the whole fitting if neccesary - no, I'm not made of money but what's a light switch - £3?

Back