Building a tool collection & starting DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my first place 2 years back. I've got a few screw drivers, a cheap drill a few random different screws and wall plugs but they're all in rubbish state and not really very good.

I'm trying to become more DIY savvy and as a result have decided to buy some new stuff - particularly as I'm going to try to tackle my downstairs toilet refurb which involves removing all the fixtures.

What basics would you recommend? I was thinking:

Set of screwdrivers
A new hammer drill (cordless or should it be corded as it's better?)
A good selection of nails, screws and wall plugs
A meter long spirit level
Some knee pads
Some basic plumbing supplies such as caps for the pipes when I remove the sink/radiator
Stud Detector

I was also going to remove and replace the skirting boards so would need some stuff for that such as saw, mitre block, etc...

Sorry for general question, just wondering if you have any thoughts on it as I'm going to try to start my bathroom stuff in the next week. Fairly confident I can remove the radiator and sink. The toilet will have to be done by a pro as it's a cast iron waste pipe.

Sponsored Links
agree with that, and that 4 piece set has enough to get you started (and keep you happy while you work with all those little faces) but i'd recommend the following brands for tools -

drills - bosch
spirit level - stabila
screwdrivers - wera
cutters / pliers - nws / ck
hammers / crowbars - stanley
turbogold are good screws and use rawl plugs.

dont waste money on stud detectors, more chance of finding where the pipes are by reading your horoscope.

Sponsored Links
as said just buy tools as you need them, if its just diy dont go ott with the best makes as you wont be using them every day, get a smaller tham 1m level though imo

Decent drills (battery and mains SDS) are worth spending some dosh on as, with care, they'll last a long long while. My old battery makita is still going strong (I gave it to my brother in law a few years ago), and my DeWalts (battery plus mains SDS) can always be relied on after 7 or so years of occasional but increasingly rare usage.

Places such as the sheds or screwfix have special deals every so often and it's worth keeping an eye out for these.

During the housing boom immediately after WW2, there was a shortage of good tradesmen due to war losses, and the joke circulated was " 'Ammer, Saw and a bag o' nails and your a carpenter)

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a mitre block but would by an electric mitre saw. Excellent for cutting angles when fitting skirting, edging etc and does a really good square cut too when making framework of any kind. You can easily take a millimetre off too. One of the most useful tools I have bought over the past few years and not too expensive at screwfix either.

Sponsored Links
Back