Screw head in Multipoint lock not turning.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heyy all, been trying to remove a screw from my French doors to change the gear box. There’s one screw that will not move. Any suggestions on how to get it loose? It’s starting to look a little worse for wear. Its a square-head screw.
image.jpg

Sponsored Links
i saw a tip were i think they added super glue to baking soda and then pushed the tip in to remove the screw - BUT that was not vertical

i'll try and find

here it is

probably not going to help as vertical

Not an expert but fixed my neighbours back door a while ago
The square drive screws were only for the central gearbox
The whole gearbox (length of the door with multipoint locks top and bottom) could be removed with crosshead screws.
Is there a lock on that door? If so, have you removed it?

If you do need to remove that screw, an impact driver may well do it

Sponsored Links
yes using the right bit. There’s 3 square head screws on the central gear box. Top and bottom both out, middle one is the problem, it’s just not moving. I don’t want to keep going at it and messing the head up. Arghhh what a pain.

Are there any crosshead screws in the metal strip down the door?
They are normally the ones to remove in order to remove the gearbox assemblies from the door.
The special screws (square, torx or even rivets) are normally for holding the gearbox assembly parts together.

Yes, but the square heads hold the gearbox to the strip. If I can get the square head out I can then take the rest apart. It’s literally just the one screw that causing the problem

If you have a soldering iron, preferably one with a broad tip that will fit inside the hollow, use it to heat up the screw head. It may take some time for the heat to transfer through to the threaded section, but this has worked for me in the past. The other alternative is a blow torch with a fine, but fierce, flame played directly on the head of the screw. Once you get it up to heat you have to quickly get your driver in and try to undo it before it loses the heat.
The only danger with this method is possible heat damage to the actual door.

Yes, but the square heads hold the gearbox to the strip. If I can get the square head out I can then take the rest apart. It’s literally just the one screw that causing the problem
I believe normal practice is to remove the strip assembly from the door and then remove the gearbox from the strip.
You could put the gearbox in a vice to get better purchase on the screw.

You have to remove the strip anyway as the gearbox won't come out of the door with the strip in place.

Drill the head of the screw off. Use pliers to remove the threaded stub from whatever it's wound into

If you have a soldering iron, preferably one with a broad tip that will fit inside the hollow, use it to heat up the screw head. It may take some time for the heat to transfer through to the threaded section, but this has worked for me in the past. The other alternative is a blow torch with a fine, but fierce, flame played directly on the head of the screw. Once you get it up to heat you have to quickly get your driver in and try to undo it before it loses the heat.
The only danger with this method is possible heat damage to the actual door.

You can also heat up an old tool that fits, and press it into the seized part. You can make it red hot if you want. The heat is likely to ruin the hardness of the tool but will break the grip of rust or hardened grease.

If the parts have cold-welded or galled (this is rare except on Stainless) you will never free them without cutting apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back