Screw holes on pine staircase filled with plastic dowels - how to rectify?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new pine staircase fitted a while back and just got around to staining it.
Now on close inspection I can see that they have filled the screw holes with what looks like a plastic dowel filling. When staining over the wood and these dowels, the result is quite awful.

Any one have any good tips on how I can get around this? I am trying to avoid glossing the stairs as it would be a big shame (all our doors are wood - we had the old white ones removed).

Sponsored Links
Could be wood filler, did you request a stairs suitable for the finish you want to apply?
You could take brown felt tips to the heads and colour them or use black to resemble knot holes.

Could be wood filler, did you request a stairs suitable for the finish you want to apply?
You could take brown felt tips to the heads and colour them or use black to resemble knot holes.

No, this is our first ever major project, and lets just say we were unaware about things like the finer details.

Attached a picture showing one example.
No we didn't specify the finish as this is our first major project. Let's say it's been a MASSIVE learning experience.

Attachments

• stairs.jpg
    stairs.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 244
Sponsored Links
Wood plug cutters are normally used to fill in screw holes out of the same material makes for a nicer job.

Wood plug cutters are normally used to fill in screw holes out of the same material makes for a nicer job.
Not by the guy who fitted this stair case. Such a shame as its a lovely staircase ruined by shoddy work. If only I'd known to ask about a "finish" :( !

I think the final finish is what makes the job spot on attention to detail is one thing that really gets to me just like silicon around sanitary fittings its got to be right' you may still be able to do it wood plug cutters aren't too much to purchase' or take out the plastic plug'
cut some similar timber make plenty of sawdust mix th PVA into a paste fill the hole sand it should look ok.

Andy.

Looking @ that knot on the top of the newel they must have thought it would all be painted:unsure:

When using pine you have to be careful of where the knots are which if painting it dosen,t matter which should have been discussed with the customer oak is lovely but pricey.

Is that wood stain or wood dye? Looks like it was applied with eyes shut?

what exactly is it there for ??
its on the wrong half off the newel for the handrail ?
what behind it on the other face ??

if these plugs are glued in and any surplus glue oozing out has been smeared around the surrounding wood surface and not cleaned off properly , you'll get patchy colour when stain is applied (as glue repels the stain) and I'm guessing thats what you have got here looking at the image.

if these plugs are glued in and any surplus glue oozing out has been smeared around the surrounding wood surface and not cleaned off properly , you'll get patchy colour when stain is applied (as glue repels the stain) and I'm guessing thats what you have got here looking at the image.
yes thats exactly my thoughts buuuuttt
the amount required to glue a plug in is so small that that amount would be a big accident or very sloppy practices

cut some similar timber make plenty of sawdust mix th PVA into a paste fill the hole sand it should look ok.
Until or unless you try to stain it! Then you'll discover that a wood dust/glue mixture doesn't absorb stain at anywhere near the same rate as solid wood (and often looks ruddy awful IMHO). The only way is to cut solid wood pellets - and be prepared to make adjustments to the tone and colour when staining subsequently

a sharp chisel will sort that but did you even sand it before you applied stain
dab some dye or stain what ever you are using on the dowel a couple of times to darken its end grain so will absorb quicker than the rest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back