Screw length for bricks with holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy,

I'm looking to fit my own upvc windows soon and thought I had everything I need, however I am wondering if the 100mm and 120mm bolts I have will be suitable. I have these... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OBFVT7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RgRPzb0FGD70Z

The bricks my walls are made of have three oval shaped holes all the way through, top to bottom. Like this... https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/742786/742786600370.jpg

As a result, could the plugs for the screws end up just hanging around in the holes in the bricks and not fixing securely? Do I need to get a specific length so they will end up at the right point in the brick?

Sponsored Links
No expert on this but as most of the strain on window fixings are at 90deg to the fixing as opposed to pulling the fixing directly out, I doubt it will be a problem.

I used to use the first one, and now I use the second type. I found that the frame fixing bolts didn't always want to tighten up properly, but as Footprints points out, most of the strain ins latteral, so it shouldn't be an issue. Just fit a few extra ones if necessary to the sides, but you may need to throw a bit of cement into a few bricks above and below the window to make sure you've got something to grip into.

Sponsored Links
Use those suggested by Ian, never found hammer fix type to hold well in any type of brick.

No expert on this but as most of the strain on window fixings are at 90deg to the fixing as opposed to pulling the fixing directly out, I doubt it will be a problem.
Tbh I'm not quite sure what I'm worried about. I think it might be that the frames wobble once installed.
I used to use the first one, and now I use the second type. I found that the frame fixing bolts didn't always want to tighten up properly, but as Footprints points out, most of the strain ins latteral, so it shouldn't be an issue. Just fit a few extra ones if necessary to the sides, but you may need to throw a bit of cement into a few bricks above and below the window to make sure you've got something to grip into.
Maybe the brickies did actually... I've no idea tbh! If not I can imagine a hairbrained scheme to inject some cement in through the drilled hole!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back