Screw organiser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tool shed has this selection of screws and it’s very helpful to immediately see what I have and select the appropriate size. The boxes mean that there are always plenty of screws - approx 200 in each pack.

The problem is that it is difficult to extract a box which is stacked somewhere in the middle and then to reorganise it each time the boxes need to be slotted in again.

I know you can buy cases but am concerned that it won’t hold much quantity and selection.

How do others deal with this?

Attachments

• 2E0DDC73-1DE0-4F46-B182-AB632D7CCE75.jpeg
    2E0DDC73-1DE0-4F46-B182-AB632D7CCE75.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
I've recently bought a few of these:
Big and sturdy enough for the occasional DIY job, and cheap enough to experiment with to see if they suit you.
I would probably separate off a number of screws for each compartment, rather than emptying the whole box :)

The best thing about those multi-compartment cases, is when you drop them, and a thousand assorted screws fall out.
Yes, I have had that happen in my workplace!
As I said, fine for occasional DIY use, but I wouldn't recommend for a pro :)

Sponsored Links
I have one of these in the garage, those boxes fit in the little tubs just fine, they're available off eBay/Amazon etc for about £30. I didn't bother with the woeful tool hanging bits, just spaced the tubs out more evenly.

1661907089296.jpeg

Google 'tools screws storage bins 65pc wall mount diy shelving set organiser garage' if you're interested.

Just a DIYer

i purchased a few of the stanley fatmax organisers - they do a thin and deep version

screwfix where doing them for about £16 and you got 1 free
otherwise they are very expensive ,
i find them very very useful , as they stack together and the individual pots come out, which is great for using 1 of whatever items i need , electrical clips , bolts, washers etc

if you do drop them unlocked , then that is a bit of a mess , but i have tried the cheaper versions with spacers in and never got on with them as well as these stanley versions , fingers getting out the odd screw - at least with the pots , you can just take the one and tip it out if needed

I have 6 of these organisers , with various bits in - a couple of the thin ones , i use one for all my loose screws
one for bolts, garden stuff , electrical stuff , brackets etc etc
I also have 2 of the dewalt organisers , again when they were on offer at toolstation , and they are also really good to use

this is the deep version
this is the thin version

They also do 2 different qualities , one has a seal and metal catches - the cheaper have no seal and plastic catches

this is the waterproof version

The best thing about those multi-compartment cases, is when you drop them, and a thousand assorted screws fall out.
Doesn't stop me using Stanley FatMax sorters, though, like @ETAF. Because they clip together, I can pick up two or three boxes (e.g. "Kitchen Screws", "Kitchen Plumbing 1" and "Ductwork"), clip them together and know that I pretty much have everything I need for a job - all carried in one hand. I do the same thing with tools - mostvof mhy kit is in clip-together Systainers

Last edited by a moderator:
For the workshop, I use a metal utility cart on wheels. I store the boxes on end so I can see the size. Make sure you get a cart with deep edges, I think mine are about 3 inch deep. Will take the bigger Spax boxes and tubs with no problem.

I have a narrow shelf, not much height and around 7feet long, onto which I keep screws in boxes, label facing you and smallest to largest left to right, along with plastic bags of nails. I also keep a bucket full of random screws and a similar bucket of random nails on a deeper shelf above that. In addition, I have a salvaged set of clear plastic drawers, fixed to a wall, in a unit around 4' x 4', which has hundreds of compartments and stores more unboxed, but lightly sorted wood screws, wall plugs, rawlbolts, machine screws and bolts, jubilee clips, split pins, springs, relays, car lamps, fuses and you name it. Brass machine screws, for some reason, I keep in one of those portable packs, similar to Randomgrinch's suggestion.

For storing screws at home/in a shed a 6" wide plank makes an ideal shelf, stacked max 2 boxes high in order of size (diameter then length) left to right. And also sorted by type, one shelf for plain countersunk woodscrews, different areas for tek screws, brass, pan head, decking screws etc etc

Unfortunately my main screw shelf is now full, this is only part of it. I also have an "overstock" stashed away in another shed of full sealed boxes

Attachments

• P1080017x.jpg
    P1080017x.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 76
I have a narrow shelf, not much height and around 7feet long, onto which I keep screws in boxes, label facing you and smallest to largest left to right
Is that by screw diameter or length? and what about Imperial sizes? Just curious. :unsure: ;)

Thanks for all the responses.
Storage space is a key consideration for me. My tool shed is beginning to fill-up and hence the option of a long shelve or the caddies hanging on a wall are not viable options.

Thinking about how I use these screws, I will have a job such as hang curtain rail, tv bracket, light fitting, etc. In each case, I will take a few of the likely sized screw boxes and use them appropriately. The main issue as I said, is that I have to shift the appropriate sized screws from this tower and then rearrange it all afterwards. It does have it pros as I can easily see what sized screws I have!

May be something like this could be helpful to hold the typical size 4-6 screws for most of my jobs?

If this system works, I could get another one for the longer screw sizes. Not sure these type of organizers will take the 100mm sized screws. However, the 100mm screws would be for an exceptional job and I could treat them as such.

I am trying to share my circumstances and how I use these screws in the hope that you can suggest an appropriate solution.
Thanks again.

yes, that was the same sort of container i posted - Fatmax shallow post6
i purchased a few of the stanley fatmax organisers - they do a thin and deep version

as mentioned i also have 2 of the dewalt organiser, when on offer at toolstation

I don't know what model that is OP, but the shallow one for 90 and 140mm screws is the 1-97-519. Mine all have a handle cut-out at the top The 90mm containers will take a limited number of 100mm screws placed diagonally

Edit: I looked up the model numbers. The 2/3 box linked to by the OP is model no. 1-75-779, a 1/3 box is also available model no. 1-75-781. They apparently clip together with the full size boxes I use and use the same internal storage "pots" as each other, the deWalt stackable boxes and some of the older ZAG boxes (not surprising as Stanley bought ZAG, in Israel, some years back). I measured the bigger pots in one of my shallow boxes - it will take 95mm long fixings, straight. Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back