Screw size help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - fitting as new but second hand Ledbury doorframe into log cabin. It was still in packaging with all screws in packets EXCEPT the ones for holding the frame together! They seem to have been misplaced before I received it. Could someone PLEASE help by explaining in simple B and Q type terms what is meant by "Screw together with screws 60x70 provided"..... the missing screws!

I presume the length is 70 mm but how does the 60 relate to 6,8,10 etc?

Thanks and have a great day - hopefully sunnier and warmer than building a log cabin in Scotland!!

Sponsored Links
The early method of catagorising screws was for example 3/4" x6, 11/4 x 8, 2" x 12 so there isn't any connection with the metric ones.
So - the shank diameter comes first (6) followed by the screw length (70)
both in millimetres.
Screw recommendations? Spax or Reisser! If the materials are particularly tough, a torx or square headed screw is much easier to drive.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for very fast reply..... really appreciated but you really do need to get out more!!!!! How about a log cabin in bleak, wet, cold Scotland!!!!
Won't be so bad when I get the doors on ----- and insulation (where can I get that with no money???) Have a great weekend and thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back