Screw Stuck - head chewed up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have tried using a rubber band and the drill on a slow setting (reverse) but I still cant get the screw out.

Just wondering if there is anything else I can try before calling in the pro's?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
20220202_185350.jpg

Attachments

• 20220202_185405.jpg
    20220202_185405.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
Chip it round with a sharp centre punch. You only need to be able to loosen it, maybe 1/4 of a turn.

Chip it round with a sharp centre punch. You only need to be able to loosen it, maybe 1/4 of a turn.

I would if I had a centre punch. I will add this to my list of wants. Thanks. Locksmith coming out tomorrow.

flat screwdriver about 2/3ds the star width tapped in
check you are using the correct driver as in pozi is a star within a star both screwhead and screw and Philips a star and different point angle

Have you been using a cordless screwdriver/drill and running it clockwise instead of anti-clockwise?
As Stivino says, a 1/4 turn anti-clockwise will have that screw loose enough to spin out using the end of your finger if you wanted to.

Even a tiny (3mm) wood chisel can be worth sacrificing...sharp enough just to dig in at the edge and spin the screw.
John :)

Hi

I have tried using a rubber band and the drill on a slow setting (reverse) but I still cant get the screw out.

Just wondering if there is anything else I can try before calling in the pro's?

Many thanks
You have probably been using the wrong bit, it’s Phillips head, a posidrive will damage it.

a small left handed drill will usually help you get those out, if it starts sticking to the metal of the screw, then the screw will unwind out for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back