Screw that Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a socket in my kitchen where the front keep coming away from the wall on one side when you pull the plug out.

Closeer inspection reveals a problem with the screw hole in the metal back box of the socket, you know the galvanised metal box that sits in the wall (technical language eh!!). The srew itself is fine with the thread intact but the hole it screws into is visually a little bigger than the other side which holds the screw perfectly. I suspect someone has forced too big a screw through at some point widening the hole slightly.

So my question is..........is there any clever way of sorting this without having to chip all the surrounding plaster away to remove and replace the metal back box.

Cheers chaps,

Sam

Sponsored Links
Hello,

If the 'lug' you are having problems with is the 'adjustable' one, it is possible to open the wings up and replace with another. (buy a new back box and take one out).

Hope this helps.

Ed

If it is the fixed lug . . . .

I have had some success in the past with a pair of mole grips. Nip the lug to flatten the hole slightly and re-tap - done it on a couple of occasions and it is enough to hold a socket.

Sponsored Links
Right, well naturally it was the fixed lug. So I went at with with a pair of pliars to try and flatten the lug and it seems to be holding so far. No doubt it will finally give up the ghost shortly after the next re-decoration and I will then have to knock a big hole in the wall.

Anyway, so far....success. Thanks for the advice chaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back