Mains socket screws not holding faceplate securely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a decorative faceplate on a double-socket but i'm having some trouble securing the faceplate to the metal box. The screws don't seem to hold properly - they move relaitively freely in and out of the fixing holes. I'd want to avoid replacing the metal box so was wondering how I can remedy the situation. For example, are there slightly thicker screws available that self-tap into the metal box?

Sponsored Links
are the threads on the screws stripped, or the threads in the holes?

It is metric M3.5

Sometimes the moveable lug can be replaced by canibalising another box (be aware that there are some design differences between some manufacturers

Other technequies include drilling a hole in the back of the box and tapping it out with a re-threader and using a longer screw, or one I've done on a number of occasions is to try and close up the hole with pliers and then run a rethreader through it, depending on the exact nature and strength of the lug squeezing top and bottom together might have limited effect, but you can also fold it back so its at 45 degrees rather than 90, then run the rethreader through it at the correct orientation, so the effective diameter on one plane has been reduced. This will give a limited contact area between threads and your milage may be limited, and you'd be advised to make sure the earth flylead to the box is fitted

Sponsored Links
well start with some new screws.

Buy a rethreader. It will cost a few pounds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back