Screw type and size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you tell me what screw type and size I should use for my project.

I am making an indoor stand alone frame from lengths of 44mm x 44mm wood.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a vague question to be honest as you don't give any details as to how you are constructing this frame but assuming that you are fixing one piece of 44mm stock to another without any sort of notching or jointing then go for a 3" or 75mm screw either 8 or 10 guage. This will give you a strong fixing with a little to spare for filling the screwhead if necessary. I'd also advise pilot holes for the screws too.

Thank you.

Yes I am fixing without any jointing or notching, it's a kind of frame to support some home brew equipment in the garage :)

Just normal 10 gauge 75mm wood screws? What size drill would you suggest for the 10 gauge and to what depth should I drill?

Sponsored Links
As biggy says with reference to the size of holes. As to depth I always tend to prefer to go slightly shorter than the screw lenght in softwood 60-65mm is fine.

PS don't forget to offer us the first bottle or pint from that homebrew :D :D

As biggy says with reference to the size of holes. As to depth I always tend to prefer to go slightly shorter than the screw lenght in softwood 60-65mm is fine.

PS don't forget to offer us the first bottle or pint from that homebrew :D :D

i used to do homebrew i added 4kg sugar to a 40pint barrel and 3kg to a 30pint
that gave you a very smooth bitter tasting like barley wine at 1120 gravity or 14% by volume brain dammage stuff :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back