Accuracy of ripped length of wood on table saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cheap bench top table saw that i bought a while ago and have just started to us. I need to rip some lengths of wood (44mm down to 36mm) to make them the right width for framing the opening of some units i'm making with the face and both edges (one of which will be the ripped edge) on show.

Its the first time i've used a small table saw, so can i expect to the saw to rip the wood to within 1mm along a 2.4m length with a reasonable enough finish that i can sand out the saw marks, or am i expect too much from a table saw and should i be looking for a thicknesser to finish the edge once i've ripped it to the rough width?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think things will be just fine, but don't rely on the accuracy of the fence or the measurements usually provided.
Using a piece of scrap timber, pass it through the saw and double check the dimensions, and also how square it is. I'd go for just under a millimetre too big and then finish with a smoothing plane with the material in a workmate or similar.
John :)

assuming a 10"/255mm blade around 80 teeth slowish feed rate will give you a very clean cut assuming the fence is parallel so not catching the teeth on the back off the blade

Sponsored Links
Super, thanks for all the comments.

I'm going to persevere in getting the machine setup right to get my cut spot on and clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back