Screwed up my measurements for french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Think i mightve screwed up. Ordered some french doors that are wxh 1790 x 2090 from local building merchants. All paid for but not arrived yet.

I measured the opening beforehand as 1790 x 2090 but now realise that perhaps i should have ordered smaller to allow for fitting/expansion/wedges etc.

Whats my best course of action here? Will they be ok? Do i need to widen the brick/block wall?

I just saw that the dimensions were standard for an off the shelf set of doors and ordered without thinking!

Sponsored Links
worse case is plane the ribs/grooves off the side of the door. should give you another 10mm

First thing I would ring the supplier and see if they have actually made them yet?

Yes they are made and on the way now.

The exterior walls are rendered and i measured on the outside of the existing door from render to render.

I'm now hoping I might be ok as presumably there won't be render underneath the existing door frame so I should hopefully have some wriggle room and can chip render away if necessary?

Sponsored Links
just a though
assuming its 20mm too wide and set back from the front face
cut a rebate into the render and brick one side 30mm and 12mm the other side
then you can center without removing render

Should be fine with it being render to render measurements, They usually go about 5-10mm in behind.
Cut the cill in a way that it will slide in sideways after the frame, That way you can shuffle the frame in sideways without the cill so you have 30mm height clearance then lift the frame and put in the cill.

Make sure to silicone the cill correctly, Back edge and the 2 ends or you will end up with damp problems

Doors came today and yes theyre slightly too big by about 5-10mm.

I've offered up the new unit to the opening from the outside with the existing door and frame still in place and they dont quite fit into the recess between the render.

What can I do? Im reluctant to start hacking away at the render but I suppose thats my only option or right it off entirely.

Nitro
As god suggested, are there plastic ribs/grooves on the side of the door frame, as these can be removed at a push (I have done that once before for a upvc window).
SFK

Yes there is. Not sure how i could remove these neatly though tbh?

Nitro,
I used velcro sanding disk on drill.
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p45019
Used 60 or 80 grit paper to start.
Came off quite quickly (but my window smaller than your door).
Then reduced to 120 grit as got closer to removing ribs.
Ended up with a square flat window frame (if that makes sense).

I was lucky as I had no choice other than to give it a go and I could see (measure) that removing ribs would allow it to fit (and as said had no other choice as had open window that I had to fill with something).
SFK

Last edited:
Pleasure, and good luck.
Note that if Gazman has a suggestion, take his advice over mine. He has infinite more knowledge on this over my DIY.
SFK

Should be fine with it being render to render measurements, They usually go about 5-10mm in behind.
Cut the cill in a way that it will slide in sideways after the frame, That way you can shuffle the frame in sideways without the cill so you have 30mm height clearance then lift the frame and put in the cill.

Make sure to silicone the cill correctly, Back edge and the 2 ends or you will end up with damp problems

I have already given the answer here. As long as the old frame goes behind the render the usual 10mm or so you will be fine, Possibly in combination with taking the ribs off 1 side.
For taking the ribs off an electric planner is the easiest but can be done with pretty much and cutting tool, Even a hand saw if it really comes to it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back