Screwing directly into plastboard...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time posting here so apologies if I miss any information out.

Short version: has anyone come across a screw type that I can screw through a wooden panel and into the plasterboard without need a plug in first?

I'm attaching some wooden paneling to a wall which is a combination of brick and plasterboard (one section is boarded up, the rest is solid wall).
I've hung one of the panels but have found a spot where I really need to add an extra screw to tighten up the paneling to the wall.

Unfortunately I have since filled in all the screw holes ready for painting so taking this panel down to drill a hole in the plasterboard and insert a wall plug behind would be painful (although not impossible).

As this screw isn't really load bearing (although there is some tension from the panel coming away from the not-so-straight wall) - has anyone come across a screw type that I can screw through my wooden panel and into the plasterboard without need a plug in first?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Sponsored Links
perhaps something like these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-...ydYlU1M-Q7haTDBKGAIaAg1_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
How thick is the paneling, can you use a Forstner Bit to recess the head and screw part in the wood paneling
I had to do something similar on a coat hanger panel , which unbeknown to me half was over some plaster board - I just happened to buy a pack from Lidl in 2019 with loads of different sizes - so I could pick one with a long collar

Thanks for the reply, the paneling is only 1cm thick so not sure there is enough depth for the head and screw part of the fixing you posted there...

I don't understand.

Why can't you drill a plug-sized hole right through the panel and the plasterboard and into the wall behind, and tap a plug through?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back