Screwing in Shelving

B

BobTodd

I've bought some new shelves for the kitchen. The wall where I want them to go is plasterboard and air for 30mm, then it hits brick or breeze block (not sure which - its a new build terraced town house made of brick, but the garage has breeze block).

The shelves need to take some weight as it'll be for kitchen equipment and books so i don't think the 15kg max-load plasterboard fixings will do.

I'm dreading having to try and get 60mm masonry screws in as I'm a complete novice, but I think these are required. Will the air/plasterboard get in the way of this option? How would you drill it (i don't think my bosch light-weight drill will cut it). What would you do?

We're talking 48 screws to get the 4 shelves up. These are the type of shelves (floating)

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It sound's like your plasterboard walls are a dot'n'dab, this means they are stuck to the the wall using a board adhesive.
Fitting light duty shelves would normally not be a problem, but considering your use. I would be tempted to cut out an area of board, securely fit some timber battens behind the plasterboard (where the shelves will be) repair. Then use them as secure fixing points.
I know it may be a bit more work than you intended to do, but with the gap between board and wall, just drilling straight through and fitting raw-plugs may not have the desired strength.

You need a SDS drill to drill in to the brick/block work and decent drill bits.

Personally would not put floating shelves on that type of wall, but if you must mark wall plate on wall, cut out plaster board as marked and clean away any adhesive on the blockwork and pack out with timber to the same depth as surrounding wall screwed to blocks, if they are thermolite then you need special twisted nylon plugs which hammer in and give good purchase , any drill will cope with thermolite, you could even hammer in a screwdriver to make hole to take plug.You will probably find you have blockwork where hidden and facework of bricks. 60 mm screws are too short, you need them long enough to penetrate timber packing and wall to a depth of 70-80mm.Then you can use timber screws to secure wall plate to packing..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back