Screwless light switch

e11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this may have been asked in the past, but the problem I have is with terminology of what it is I'll need to complete this. I bought a metal screwless light switch for the kitchen, and on the back it looks like this:

IMG_20150824_153605.jpg

Everything seemed to look fine, 'must' be earthed. I thought it would be a simple process of taking out one light switch and putting in another. How wrong I was.

The 3 live wires (red, blue and yellow) are fine as they would go into the COM, L1 & L2 ports but the bit that had me was this:

IMG_20150824_153410.jpg

There is only one earth wire, which is connected to the back box.

Do I simply slice a bit of earthing cable from a cable reel and include this in the back box along with the one that is already there, and then fix the other end of it to the back plate of the light fixture? Is there a better method, perhaps safer cleaner way?

Sponsored Links
If the back box has two solid lugs, won't the metal screws be sufficient to earth it?

Yep that's exactly it.

I thought there may have been a sleeker way like with a ring terminal, but if that is safe to do it this way, I'll proceed :)

I wasn't too sure that the screws would be safe enough. I'm mechanical, and have very little electrical savvy

Sponsored Links
If the back box has two solid lugs, won't the metal screws be sufficient to earth it?

If the plate is loosened or removed there is no longer a reliable connection or one at all.

With a metal plate socket, the plate will be earthed even when removed from the wall (providing it has been connected correctly).

Am I missing some thing I can count 6 screws in that screw less fitting? I would have expected maintenance free type terminals in a screw less fitting?

I assumed "screwless" in that the fixing screws are hidden by a faceplate once attached to the wall.

I agree. I did write similar earlier but forgot to submit it.

Just to add, it is irrelevant to the actual query of the thread and

the picture supplied - still in the packet - does not look like one of those.

Oh, maybe. I've not seen one like that.

The ones I have seen have an odd-shaped body which screws to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back