Screws are stuck in outside lights....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 6 outside lights and last year I replaced the screws in all of them as they were looking a bit rusty. The problem is that now in 3 of the lights the new screws are completely stuck! They all have two screws per light and I can't remove any of them.

I've tried soaking them in WD40 to no avail and they are still well and truly stuck.

I'd be really grateful for any ideas on how to get them out - the bulbs have gone and it's very dark outside!!

Sponsored Links
Presumably alumium body on the light, what screws did you use to replace them?

Angle grinder?

heat will do it. A tiny flame on a gas blowlamp on the head of the screw. If this would damage the lamp, you can also get a disposable screwdriver that is a very good fit in the screw, and heat its tip in the flame of the blowlamp. Work fast as the plastic handle will melt, drop it in a bucket of water after each screw. Wooden handled screwdrivers will withstand the heat longer, as will very long screwdrivers.

Next time, use energy saving Compact Fluorescent Lamps, which will last five to ten times longer, and use a quarter the electricity

When you use screws outdoors, use brass or stainless screws, and wipe the threads with Copper Grease that you can get at DIY or Motoring shops.

Brass screws are not very strong, but will be adequate for lamps.

When you use screws outdoors, use brass or stainless screws, and wipe the threads with Copper Grease that you can get at DIY or Motoring shops.
You have to be a little bit carefull with SS into Aluminum, but copper grease is certainly always a good idea.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Justine,

I'm going to let you into a very old secret, now i'm not going to tell you that in your case it will work yet I reckon it's sure worth a try.

Pop down to your local supermarket and get yourself a bottle of white vinegar and apply this trying to work the solution behind the screw heads. After you have done that saturate a rag and place it over the offending screws, and if possible secure with tape and let it pickle for 24hrs then have another go.

Dec

Thanks Dec, I'm venturing out to try and fix them today so I'll give that a go. Fingers crossed one of these tricks works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back