Phillips screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into new house where there is outside lighting on the side of an exterior garden wall. Bulb has gone but can't get the cover off as the heads of the phillips screws attaching the cover to the wall are well worn and no phillips screwdriver seems able to unscrew them. Any suggestions on how to get these screws out.

Sponsored Links
I HATE the shear ignorance regarding 'cross head' screws amongst both amaters and pros alike it just never fails to amuse me :evil: :mad: :p :rolleyes:
SOTV if you do know what the difference is I appologise!

didnt want to launch into a long winded explination about the incompatability of pz and ph screws if he knows the difference :D ;)

Sponsored Links
Well, maybe you could try sawing across one of the phillips/pozi grooves with a hacksaw and then using a big flat blade screwdriver to get your screws moving. Plus loads of wd40 can't hurt! Good luck.

JD

olly_k

I HATE the shear ignorance regarding 'cross head' screws amongst both amaters and pros alike it just never fails to amuse me
Thats no different than saying 'biro' OR 'hoover'.
We all use generic names, although I try not to.

Diyisfun said:
olly_k

I HATE the shear ignorance regarding 'cross head' screws amongst both amaters and pros alike it just never fails to amuse me
Thats no different than saying 'biro' OR 'hoover'.
We all use generic names, although I try not to.

philips screwdrivers dont fit pozidrive properly and visaversa

the pozzi bits are like a star with tiny fins in the grooves and the screws have a cross super imposed on the screwhead

as far apart as imperial and metric nuts and bolts as each will work on the other but will chew them up

you wont get camout if you use the correct bit 90 odd percent off screws use pozzi no 2

the screw should sit on the bit and be held firmly
if you cant transfer the screw on the bit its the wrong bit its worn or its a cheap screw

Big All.
.I know there is a difference & I suspect that a few others do. The point I was making was that people say 'phillip screw' when its not a slotted..regardless of what it could be.
Like have you a 'biro' when they mean a pen/pencil

Diyisfun said:
Big All.
.I know there is a difference & I suspect that a few others do. The point I was making was that people say 'phillip screw' when its not a slotted..regardless of what it could be.

ok diyisfun :D :D ;)

the point i am sort of making isss
the correct bit may grip enough to remove it when the wrong bit wont

If there is still some head left, using the correct screwdriver, ;) push hard as you can on the screwdriver and turn the screwdriver both ways a little, that may just be enough to loosen it.
Another option you have is to drill the heads off, which will allow the cover simply to pull off, leaving the threaded part of the screw sticking out so you can put a pair of vise/mole grips on it to remove.

Diyisfun said:
Big All.
Biro= Pencil :?: :LOL: Lazlo will be spinning in his grave :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back