Screws for alu frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly daft question.

I'm installing some new alu frames.

I have got fischer frame fixing screws (a la https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p85179?table=no).

Unfortunately it seems that the glass is on 1mm packers. This means the screwhead sitting proud interferes with the glass when replaced (it rests on top of part of the profile either side of the plastic thermal break).

What is one supposed to do in this situation? Different screws ?

Sponsored Links
So your saying the glass sits on 1mm packers? So how big is the gap at the top and either side, is that 1mm also? Doesn't allow anything for expansion, usually have about 5mm

Thicker packers to lift the glass, and clear the screws, but as crank asks, how big is the gap at the top of the glass - and the sides for that matter.

Possibly daft question.

I'm installing some new alu frames.

I have got fischer frame fixing screws (a la https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p85179?table=no).

Unfortunately it seems that the glass is on 1mm packers. This means the screwhead sitting proud interferes with the glass when replaced (it rests on top of part of the profile either side of the plastic thermal break).

What is one supposed to do in this situation? Different screws ?
Aside from the 1mm gap issue, if these are windows ?? aren't 7.5mm a bit meaty for them?
I use 6mm easy drive concrete screws from SF and even those are larger than some DG companies use?
litl

Sponsored Links
My eyes have been opened, and I have just seen the light.

It's not till someone points out the simplicity of an idea, that you realise all the possibilites. Thanks LITL

yes, could be the screws I have are OTT for what's being asked - based purely on me doing internet searches for alu windows being fixed direct-to-brick.

I'll get some of those easydrive ones mentioned by lostinthelight as the head looks less deep, which might solve the issue. I did also wonder about fixings where there's window openers in the way. E.g: the opener for a fanlight occupies the first 220mm or so from the top, so whether to put the screw below that or attempt to countersink the screwhead instead.

The 2 units I've opened so far, one is on 1mm packers all round, the other 1.5mm all round. These are v slim profile windows (crittall replacement), but they're also not huge (typically 450mm width)

on the one I've got in front of me, it's probably a 1.5 to 2mm on each side, so pretty tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back