Screws into wood - should I drill a hole or not?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always drill a whole. Use a tiny drill. Much smaller than is needed.

It just helps when screwing in the screw.

But... When I see others do it... They just use a drill and screw in!

What are the rules I should follow?

If softwood just go ahead and screw without drilling?

If hard wood then use drilling? If so, what size drill bit? I'm assuming if a tiny thin drill, then when screwing in this won't be a good idea? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depends on hole size and position, hard wood needs a pilot hole especially with small diameter screws to avoid snapping, softwood needs pilot holes if fixing close to ends of timber.

You usually find a screw going into wood won’t slide it will penetrate very slightly with the pointed tip, for this reason I do not use pilot holes.

depends on screws and timber
softwood silver twins end grain if smaller than 17mm then pilot
face pilot countersink bit into face and if the bit i am screwing to is more than 20mm from the end then no pilot
turbo gold/woodspur type screws no need unless particularly small or hard or you want to fit a wooden plug

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I use turbo gold wood screws and they drive into wood beautifully. But even more easily with a pilot hole. I'm more likely to use a pilot hole if I need accuracy or it's a difficult (smooth) surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back