Screws on inside of Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have bought a newly built house and I complained that the outside gap between the window and sill was incorrect and too wide.
The house builder has now screwed the frame to the sill to "pull it together".
So now all my windows have two screws on the inside of the frame.
It doesn't seem right?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20190901_115340.jpg
    20190901_115340.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190901_115327.jpg
    20190901_115327.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20180731_133627.jpg
    IMG_20180731_133627.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Pa Co, good evening.

Is the last image posted of the outside of the junction of frame and sill? was this a before image of the sill / frame prior to the screws being inserted?

Ken

Hi Ken, thanks for replying-
That's before the screws were added.
The screws kind of pulled the sill and frame together a little, but not enough.
So they applied another bead of silicone along the frame and window sill gap but left two small hopes where the frame drain holes are.

If the sill is to be screwed to the frame it should be done at install, does little afterwards as neither part has room to move.

Sponsored Links
Looks a bit rubbish. Often par for the course with substandard materials like uPVC.

Hi Ken, thanks for replying-
That's before the screws were added.
The screws kind of pulled the sill and frame together a little, but not enough.
So they applied another bead of silicone along the frame and window sill gap but left two small hopes where the frame drain holes are.

typical snagging bodge

it needs window out and cill screwed on properly

Looks a bit rubbish. Often par for the course with substandard materials like uPVC.

The pvc isn't substandard at all, its the fitting thats substandard, often the case on new builds where the fitters get 15 quid a window divided by 2 if your a team so you need to be fitting 20 windows a day really by time you've paid for you van, diesel, road tax, insurance, public liability, income tax.

Its been rushed in, technically the sill needs a bead of silicone along the back edge and along the 2 little short ends, the window needs turning upside down placing the sill on top of it and screwing through the sill in to the window, screwing down can cause problems with water ingress ESPECIALLY if theres no bead of silicone along the back edge of the sill, eventually the bottom corners of the reveal will start showing damp marks

Also sealing the gap between the window the the sill is just plain wrong and done just to appease you AND to hide the gap. IMO the window needs to come out and be fitted properly, sill screwed to the window(upwards) with a bead of silicone between the two, trouble is if the windows have been fitted on straps the builder is more likely to grow another head than want to take the window out as it will damage the plastered reveals and will need replastering and decorating again

So no to Gerald the pvc isn't substandard..........its all in the fitting

So no to Gerald the pvc isn't substandard..........its all in the fitting

I guess Gerald doesnt like upvc, every window ever made will be substandard.

Whihc I can kind of agree with....even if its not true, clearly upvc is functionally competent even if not very pretty

Pressure treated engineered softwood windows, no drainage with stapled joints not even glued with plant on cills with pressed tin hinges and monkey metal furniture are more substandard than an A rated PAS24 secured by design uPVC window

Now I'm not saying uPVC is the be all and end all but it has a place

Pa Co, good evening.

OK back to your issues?

Suggest, having seen what has gone before, you ask the developer to remove, and re-fit the windows, to be honest, this is a bit more than a "small" snagging "issue"

It is clear that this is not a mastic fix?

Can i suggest that you ask for the window manufacturer to render there advises on your issues??

If anything, you are more prepared to ask searching questions of the developer?

As an aside??? what are your neighbours windows looking like?? just a consideration??

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back