Scribing kitchen end panel and the best way to cut

DCC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I'm fitting a kitchen and wishing I'd got a professional in! Anyway...

I have a tall appliance unit which sits up against a run of base units and a tall trim panel to sit in between obviously the wall isn't straight, the wall panel is as expected oversize and needs to be cut to the right depth.

Double checking the scribing technique first - if I clamp the panel so that it is square with the unit and has an even overhang of say 5cm all down the front edge would I then set my calipers to 5cm and scribe to the wall?

Second question, once I've marked myself a line whats the best way to cut it? the panel is MDF with a glossy coating, it cuts quite nicely with a jigsaw with the blade set to cut into the panel (no chipping) but although I feel I'm pretty accurate with a jigsaw I tested some of the offcuts I've made against the wall and they are a little wavey - enough so that I will notice. Is there a better/easier way to make the cut?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Try using a suitable washer and a pencil to do the scribing: the outside edge of the washer rubs against the wall, the pencil holding it in place while drawing the line.

A jigsaw should be fine for cutting the board, preferably using a good blade and an anti-splinter insert.

If the result isn't perfect, you can fill the gap with decorator's caulk.

For scribing, use an ordinary compass from a maths kit. set to required size to be removed and simply run the pointed end down the wall marking the panel with the pencil, this will give you a perfect profile of the wall. Cutting I find is best done by hand, with a sharp saw, slightly undercutting away from the edge to be seen. Then simply offer up panel and plane off any high points for a snug fit. If done properly you will be proud of yourself and no decorators caulking needed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips, the result wasn't brilliant at first but with a bit of sanding and smoothing its come out reasonably well. Will try a handsaw on the next one as that sounds more controllable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back