End panel on kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a washing machine completing the run of my kitchen units. I will be fitting an end panel here and would appreciate your advice on how I should approach this.

1. if the bottom needs scribing, should I cut this with a jigsaw? I do also have a circular saw

2. how can I make this fitting sturdy as it’s at risk of being knocked every now and again. Near the door leading into garden.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I should consider as part of this.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 13DED4AF-4E0F-4186-8F4B-9618C235381A.jpeg
    13DED4AF-4E0F-4186-8F4B-9618C235381A.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
I've fitted a batten under the worktop to give it some support:
upload_2020-9-29_11-33-20.png

Is it now a case of slotting in the end panel and using suitable (?) brackets?

I would appreciate any advice you can provide on this.

if the panel is made of chipboard, with no legs, and in a room with a washing machine, it is very likely that damp, or water from spills or mopping the floor, will soak into the chipboard and ruin it.

You can add feet, or you can buy waterproof plastic strips (sold for plinth) to protect it. Or I suppose you could use a few metal brackets into the floor, spaced so there is a gap. Paint the chipboard edge as well.

If the board is securely fastened to the wall and to the bottom of the worktop, it only needs as extra bracket or block near the front into the floor, to protect it from being dislodged. use a stainless screw as the floor may get wet.

As it happens - not often in my case - the full panel will slot in. Its already sealed all around. I assume this will be adequate?
Which brackets do you advise for this?

Sponsored Links
Don't cut the bottom of the panel, cut the top with a circular or table saw.
Leave the factory edge to rest on the floor as these are more water resistant than an exposed cut edge.
Fix the panel on the wall and under the worktop, then finish it off with a stainless steel small angle bracket 5 or 6 inches from the external edge on the floor, so not visible with washing machine in situ.

you can also put the brackets so the floor side of the "L" will be under the panel. This conceals them, and also helps lift the panel off the floor a fraction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back