Scribing Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought enough of this skirting to do a whole house...

skirting.jpg

And I'm not sure about how to go about doing internal corners. I've looked at scribing techniques, but I don't know why I'm either not 'getting it' or I'm thinking that the instructions I've read are more suited to more traditional skirting like pencil, bullnose or ogee stuff.

Am I talking waffle, is the technique used exactly the same for any style of skirting?

I looked at just butting these up and filling in the kind of semi-circle area with caulk! Half-assed or what?

I don't want to do it half-assed... but when I tried to cut out the bits I needed with a handsaw it wasn't great results I got... the two sticky-out bits I needed to leave behind needed a lot of attention to get them the right side so they fit nicely into the recess of the other board... I was thinking "this is a lot of effort"... :cry:

Any tips as to approach or tool that I should be using to help me out?

Sponsored Links
There lots on youtube. may help

That video was OK (until the woman started to talk - eek!) but it did kinda skim over the scribe... I'm wondering if my skirting which will have 2 semi-circular protrusions in the profile is going to be more difficult than the simple chamfer they were using (although the diagram explaining the approach was almost exactly like my skirting (mine just has 2 sticky-out bits).

Sponsored Links
A fret saw or coping saw has a very slim blade, and you can change the orientation of the blade.

Looks like a very easy scribe, TBH - a straight line with two semicircular humps.

Cheers
Richard

Looks like a very easy scribe, TBH - a straight line with two semicircular humps.

Thanks for confirming because I'd thought that... but it has proven not to be easy nor the results to be good (so I was wondering) but it's more likely down to my inexperience.

I will do as you say.

Then, surely, I can heap blame upon you if my results remain... sub-optimum? :whistle:

If you have one, cut the skirting with a mitre saw at 45 degrees. Then follow the line on the front edge of the skirting with your coping saw. It gives you the perfect scribe line to follow.

I do.

I've still not seen someone do one as 'complicated' with the 2 humps... but I'm going to get my new saw and give it a go tomorrow.

If you have one, cut the skirting with a mitre saw at 45 degrees. Then follow the line on the front edge of the skirting with your coping saw. It gives you the perfect scribe line to follow.
That's fine, though with such a simple profile I'd be inclined simply to put the other bit end-on and draw round it.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back