Scrim tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a bit of advice "quickly"

have plasterers coming Wednesday morning and I have agreed to do as much prep as possible for them as they just want to get stuck in and start spreading the skim coat.

I said I would scrim all the joints and are struggling because the stuff is lacking any adhesive, in fact its bloody useless.

are there any tips here for applying scrim with anything other than its own useless self adhesive properties??? tried spraying mitre mate adhesive but not enough body in it, considering a wall paper paste, this would stick it I am sure but worried about any effect on the finish coat going on.

Any ideas /advice warmly welcomed!!

Russ

Sponsored Links
Where did you buy your tape from? Are you sure it is self adhesive? May just be a dud roll. Scrim isn't super sticky anyway, a flatten with a trowel after laying it on helps.

You can get bad batches of scrim tape I remember on a certain job all the scrim tape the contractor supplied did not stick and the spread on one of his other jobs was having same problem , it was slowing me down keep having to reapply the tape I replaced it all at my own expense , I now have about 10 rolls of crap scrim tape in the shed,either replace it or on occasions I have used PVA to stick it on, as yours is only a small job brush some PVA on the scrim but best option is to replace it

I'd never let anyone do any prep for me at all. For an experencied plasterer, it takes just a few minutes to put tapes on etc. Prep is always the most important part of any job. If something goes wrong with a plastering job that someone else has prepped, maybe to save time or money, whose to blame for the problem?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies
Used a different brand Euroscrim!! gauranteed to perform it says on the package, and it really does.
As for doing the plasterers prep!! he was due in earlier this week but cancelled to saturday, its just a matter of cost on my belhalf, I pay him by the day and like to see the wet stuff going on early as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back