SDS HSS drill bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend reasonably priced HSS bits (for wood and metal) for a SDS drill? I cannot seem to find any anywhere.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Ah! I see what you mean - you want a non-masonry bit for a drill fitting that is generally designed for use with masonry.... Mmm. Don't think I've ever seen such a thing.

The only thought that arises (but I don't understand your needs!) is that you can get adaptor chucks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I can get an adapter chuck for about £15 from Amazon. Looks like I will have to do that. No wonder I cannot find any, they don't exist.

Thanks for you input though

Brian

I don't know what yours is like, but my SDS+ is so big and heavy that I wouldn't contemplate using it for anything but concrete and brick.

You can get SDS shank auger bits, but to date all the ones I've seen are carbon tool steel. In fact most drills for wood are carbon steel for the dual (and very good) reasons that carbon steel is far easier to sharpen than HSS and hones to a far superior (i.e sharper) edge than HSS meaning improved cutting performance (smoother cutting). The best known HSS wood drills these days are the bimetallic "nail proof" speed augers by Armeg (Wood Beaver), Irvine (Blue Groove), etc which in the main have 1/4in hex drive shanks (for use in quick adaptor chucks, SDS bit holders and impact drivers, etc) and the lesser known ship's auger bits sold for boring through nail-infested timbers. The only ones I'm familiar with are made by Bosch and Makita and they require a 13mm conventional chuck. Speed augers are necessarily short as their principal use is for boring through beams and joists in existing buildings, etc. Ships augers are a lot longer. Either way the HSS tipped drills never drill as fast or as cleanly as equivalent carbon tool steel drills IMHO

Why would you want to use a HSS on an SDS drill? You will find most SDS run @ 950RPM or just above, way to slow for metal drilling.
HSS are meant to run fast??? buy yourself a cheap parkside drill for 29 quid from lidl. it would do a better job at drilling metal or wood and keep your SDS for drilling masonry..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back