What HSS drills do you guys recommend ?

I think the word of importance there is 'theoretically' so if all HSS drills have the same chemical formula and are all ground to standard then they should all perform the same.
Personally I don't check new drills for diameter accuracy or straightness....maybe I should!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Well, theoretically there is no such thing as "HSS", without any qualification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_steel

So I'm guessing that if someone is offering "HSS drill bits" without any description of what sort of HSS they use, it could be almost anything. And possibly not any of the recognised grades.

But this is an interesting topic to have on a DIY site, and a difficult one for anyone to answer. As a DIYer, my needs and priorities are very different from those of a tradesman. I don't get through loads of drills (or jigsaw blades), so I don't want to buy them in bulk, and apart from the common sizes I don't want to even have more than one. I'd rather pay perhaps over the odds for bits which will last, just to minimise the aggro of replacing them. But someone who uses them all day and every day, possibly in a workshop with a reasonable amount of storage space, might well do a cost-per-hole or cost-per-day calculation and treat them as consumables.

When I finally decided to put the Heinz collection of bits I'd acquired out to grass, I bought a set of Hawera jobber bits - seemed pretty good. Also later bought some Irwin bits from Screwfix (why?? :rolleyes: ) - not so good.

Have just bought a set of Bosch HSS-G bits. Not used them yet.

Keep wondering whether to buy a sharpener.

If you do decide to go for a sharpener, BAS, the Drill Doctor series are very good in my opinion and have an internal green grit wheel.
Around the £100 mark, I think.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Dormer drills every time, if you learn how to sharpen correctly and are careful with small dia bits you will not need replacements for many years.

im too poor to buy cheap

sharpening drills.... lol.... back in 1950 when ...... please, just buy a new one... just get some dewalt extreme 2! Honestly!!

Oi stop dissing my favourite bit, :LOL: :LOL:

sorry must go, off to polish some turds!

The difference between and engineer and a bodger I suppose, reach for your wallet to do a job I can do faster and cheaper.

learn the basics, you will find its a lot quicker to sharpen a drill than to buy a new one every time.

The difference between and engineer and a bodger I suppose, reach for your wallet to do a job I can do faster and cheaper.

learn the basics, you will find its a lot quicker to sharpen a drill than to buy a new one every time.

Rubbish, try the 21st century.

A fool and his money is easily parted. There is a reason you don't see these gimmick drill bits in industry.

To be honest it seems pointless discussing it with you anyway as you are far too stupid to understand what you are doing wrong in the first place.

A fool and his money is easily parted. There is a reason you don't see these gimmick drill bits in industry.

To be honest it seems pointless discussing it with you anyway as you are far too stupid to understand what you are doing wrong in the first place.

Oh perr lerr ease, no it's not!! Now go iron your snot rags, and darn your socks!

Snappy comeback. Did you type it yourself or did your carer have to do it for you?

*sigh* just stick to your antiquated techniques or understand material science and the world has moved on. whichever suits you, really, I don't care.

material science my arse, its simply a feature they have ground onto the drill but to negate the need for a pilot hole, and also prevents you from doing the basic task of repointing the drill bit when the tips fall off. its design is purely and simply there to sell more drill bits.

and as you appear to be so endebted to the manufacturers way of thinking you cannot see that you are being played for the fool that you so obviously are.

I will leave this thread now, but stand by my original point, a set of high quality drill bits, correctly maintained, will last you a very long time. but to add to that, don't forget the lube.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back