Seailng between wall and floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our new bathroom the tiler laid the floor first (dark, rough, slate-like porcelain tiles) right up to the walls, then applied the wall tiles (polished, white ceramic) so they come down wall and sit on top of the floor tiles. The bottom row of wall tiles were cut so the border was at a precise height on the wall, but he did a nice job so the edges were pretty much even right along the join.

My issue is this: when he grouted the tiles, the grout did not go into the gap between the wall and floor where the gap is only a millimeter or less wide. I am a bit worried about water getting into these gaps.

Should I be? I was thinking about running a bead of sealant along the joint between the floor and wall, but my plumber said that silicone sealant on rough textured tiles is a no-no because it looks bad. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
All internals should be filled with silicon mastic, especially between floor and wall, just run a bead around 5mm all the way round, use the same colour silicon as the floor grout.
run it smooth with a wetted finger!

Thanks Plastile, I went out and bought some grey Unibond sealant, which now dry, is an almost perfect match to the tiles. Thanks for the tip. I used masking tape to make a straight edge along the white tiles to keep it neat. Looks good and will do the job nicely. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back