Seal unused roof vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an unused roof vent which used to serve a cooker extractor, what is the best way to seal this?

The 110mm plastic pipe emerges through the roof tiles via a lead pipe opening about 120mm wide, I have easy access to this as it is adjacent to a flat roof, at the moment it still has the 110mm pipe running down to the ceiling which has been blocked off and duck tape is wrapped around the vent at the top.

I want to make this more permanent and remove the 110mm pipe if possible but that leaves a 120mm lead pipe outlet, is there something that will fit over this securely or any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Remove the lead slate(pipe flashing),remove the cut tiles,repair hole in felt and fit new tiles over hole.Thats the way it wants to be done.

Yea, I know it should be done that way, but will have trouble matching old tiles and also as the pipe is half on the tiles and half on the lead flashing as it is a half pitched flat roof and they cut a vee in the flashing to fit pipe so would leave an unsightly vee gap in the flashing along edge of flat roof..

Hope this makes sense..

I am tempted to just cut pipe short and re-use the existing vent which has been glued to the 110mm pipe but block vent holes which are under top cap and seal around pipe skirt thingy with mastic.

I would do as cumbrianroofer says and take it out, shortcuts only lead to future problems, especially were mastic is concerned.

Perhaps you could slip a little piece of lead up under the flashing where it is cut out and fold it over the top of tiles underneath to hold it in place ?

If you are unsure this sounds like the kind of job you would get a local roofer to do properly for about £60-80

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys, you maybe right Regencyroofingipswich might well see what a local roofer can do for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back