Nice Soil Pipe 'Bodge'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been in a new (to us) house for 3 months or so. In this time there has always been a tiny damp patch in a first floor bathroom, on the ceiling next to a soil pipe boxing. I dismissed this as being a ‘cold spot’ in the roof, maybe a condensation issue. As I was in the loft today I thought I’d take a proper look only to find the following ‘bodge’.

The soil vent pipe is terminated to a pantile vent thus-

The corrugated vent tail pipe has joined to the elbow on the vent pipe using ‘Mk1 grey duck-tape’ in which a precisely positioned cut has been made to any ensure outfall from the vent drains into the kitchen measuring jug carefully positioned below. This had obviously reached its design performance limit as it was full to the brim! I would guess that the amount of moisture entering through the vent is quite small, probably an infrequent drip, otherwise the damp would have been much, much worse.

Opening this out to the world of knowledge on this forum:- is this a case of finding a suitable adaptor between the corrugated pipe (assume for 110mm dia UPVC) and the SVP (which looks to be 82mm(?- it is certainly smaller than standard SVP I’ve seen), i.e. outside the corrugation / inside the SVP, assuming such a thing exists. Can it be that simple a fix (if so it worries me why this was not done in the first place!).

Sponsored Links
The issue is the moisture rich air being sucked up the extractor fan which then condensates insdie the pipe as it enters the (cold) loft space, the condensation then tuns back down the pipe and if it is not allowed to drain off would end up leaking out through then fan grille.

So you could fit a condensation trap in the run, then run a drain pipe from the trap out of an overflow in the eaves. https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en&gws_rd=ssl#hl=en&q=condensation+trap+flexible+ducting

image127.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back