Soil pipe vent in loft

so when you flush a toilet or discharge water into a pipe your telling me that it is not positive pressure

Sponsored Links
donametchi said:
so when you flush a toilet or discharge water into a pipe your telling me that it is not positive pressure
I didn't say any such thing, but as you seem not to understand I'll explain.

Discharging into a soil stack will create positive pressure downwards and negative pressure on the top of the stack. In any given moment the sum of transient positive pressures from all systems in the neighbourhood will create a pressure that is relieved via the vents on all of those systems that aren't discharging at that moment.

Since an AAV is incapable of relieving that pressure, fitting one instead of having a vent to open air would not be approved by the LABC, and would therefore contravene The Building Regulations.

Now that I've explained I shall leave you to bluster, and throw insults, and misspell your way into the ever-deepening hole that you've started to dig for yourself. Good luck with that.

if you are refusing to understand how an aav operates then i can,t help you.sorry if you,ve felt i,ve insulted you but why have an aav then.when they are mean,t to be installed in situations when you can not vent to directly outside.hope the spelling suits.xxforgot to hit the spell check.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
for the attention of mr softus.basic level 1 plumbing is.positive pressure downwards.ie cistern pushing water down /or water from tap entering stack, water falling thus pushing air upwards.try blocking stack at top of system. the system will not flush.look forward to your answer.the valve prevents odours and will need the same amount of ventilation as dia.of the pipe.maybe this is why your qualifications are not recognised in scotland.was it a 2,3 or 5 day course you sat.

donametchi said:
if you are refusing to understand how an aav operates then i can,t help you.
Er, I'm very much not requesting or requiring your help.

sorry if you,ve felt i,ve insulted you
Rest assured - you might insult me but I won't feel insulted by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

but why have an aav then.
To admit air of course, in those scenarios where this is the right thing to be doing. What they can't do is vent air at positive pressure, hence they shouldn't be used where a vent is required. FFS, how many times do I have to point this out? :rolleyes:

when they are mean,t to be installed in situations when you can not vent to directly outside.
Please supply a reference to any document that backs up what you're saying.

hope the spelling suits.xxforgot to hit the spell check.
FYI your spelling, grammar, and punctuation, all continue to suck.

Sponsored Links
As stated earlier,sounds like the dampness is coming from the soil pipe when bath is emptied,watch the top of your nieghbours soil pipe on a cold day and see the steam come out,proper fix is to extend to outside,and fit basket on the top to avoid cr@p falling in and blocking it.

Garfeild said:
...fit basket on the top to avoid c**p falling in and blocking it.
I suspect sparrows are likely to be more of a problem than carp. :confused:

keego said:
Is the pipe just an open end or does it have an air admittance valve on it?

As far as I can see (I haven't been able to get right next to it yet), the pipe is just an open end - there doesn't appear to be anything on the end of it.
If there was a valve, could this be fitted lower down in the pipe somewhere or is this type of valve always on the end of the pipe?

emsee said:
As far as I can see (I haven't been able to get right next to it yet), the pipe is just an open end - there doesn't appear to be anything on the end of it.
So it could be carp in the soil stack after all.

If there was a valve, could this be fitted lower down in the pipe somewhere...
No.

...or is this type of valve always on the end of the pipe?
Yes.

:LOL: :LOL: Where`s wee jock pooper Mc plop gone .....sanitary engineer or sanitorium inmate :LOL:

durgos are allowed for at least four properties on the same sewer run, as long as the fifth house has an open vent to atmospheric pressure

holty said:
durgos are allowed for at least four properties on the same sewer run, as long as the fifth house has an open vent to atmospheric pressure
I'd be interested to know where that rule is documented. :confused:

denso13 said:
Softus said:
holty said:
I'd be interested to know where that rule is documented. :confused:

http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Docs/AGCerts/AG003690.pdf?ac= covers installation, section 4.
I suspected as much.

It would depend on this situation, if there was ventilation at the head of the drain etc.
Indeed so. This means that the BCO has the final word on it, which is especially sensible given that no householder knows the Durgo/vent situation with the four properties downstream of him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back