Sealant Around Hinged Shower Screen Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m replacing the sealant around my bath due to leaking and I’m happy about how to do the straight edges. What I’m trying to get my head around is how best to tackle this area for a watertight and neat finish.

Is it worth doing around one half of the circular bit and letting it firm up a bit but not fully and then moving the door and doing the other half? Or should I be doing something else?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0750.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If it was me I'd be using masking tape, you must do it all in one go. But if you screw it up you'll just have to redo it.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want the silicone bead to go all the way around anyway?

Shower screens/frames are usually supposed to be left unsealed on the inside so that any water/condensation can run out into the tub

Why do you want the silicone bead to go all the way around anyway?

Shower screens/frames are usually supposed to be left unsealed on the inside so that any water/condensation can run out into the tub
I’m not actually sure. That just how it was when it was installed so I assumed I would need to do the same. It’s leaking from this bit where the arrow is and also the circular bit. Where would you put the sealant if you were doing this please?
IMG_0750.jpeg

I’m not actually sure. That just how it was when it was installed so I assumed I would need to do the same.

That doesn't mean it's meant to be like that.

Where the arrow is looks like the gap between the fixed channel and pivoting bit. Clearly water is going to go down there. If you silicone all the way round both sides then the water exit whichever side is the path of least resistance. That's why you leave it clear of silicone on the inside.

That doesn't mean it's meant to be like that.

Where the arrow is looks like the gap between the fixed channel and pivoting bit. Clearly water is going to go down there. If you silicone all the way round both sides then the water exit whichever side is the path of least resistance. That's why you leave it clear of silicone on the inside.
Thank you. I didn’t know, I’m not knowledgeable about this stuff.

So would you do it to where the blue finishes or where the red finishes? Or somewhere else? And I still do the inside of where the blue goes, I assume? As in the inside of the fixed channel?

IMG_0750.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back