sealant problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sealant problem that I hope someone can help with. Every time I reseal around my bath, no sooner have I done it but it needs to be done again (within weeks starts to have gaps). If I can just explain more - when I get in the bath and it's full of water, the bath drops a millimetre to even 1.5mm down one side, so the sealant comes apart after a couple of weeks. (Before anyone thinks I'm a big fatty who needs to lose some weight, that couldn't be further from the truth, I'm really small). I've tried doing it different ways, the last time I left the bath full of water and resealed in the 'sunken' state. And in the past I have resealed with an empty bath too. Neither makes any difference. If I take the bath panel off you can see underneath where water has gotten down because of this problem. Anyone had experience of this? What can I do? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Are you using silicone sealant? This should give flexible seal for bath.

Make sure the bath is well secured to wall and feeds secure to floor and there's no movement, rot or chipboard below feets.

Fill the bath and reseal with a good silicone sealant.

Daniel.

Thank you. Maybe that's where I am going wrong. I know I will have bought cheaper sealants thinking that they would do the same job, rather than a more expensive one. So you're not just paying for the name then?

Just my pennorth for what its worth......Dow Corning 791 is a low modulus sealant, which is much more elastic and forgiving than the high modulus stuff.
It does sound as if your bath feet need attention though, as Daniel has said.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Are you using silicone sealant? This should give flexible seal for bath.

Make sure the bath is well secured to wall and feeds secure to floor and there's no movement, rot or chipboard below feets.

Fill the bath and reseal with a good silicone sealant.

Daniel.

+1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back