sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
could someone give me a link as to where to buy this kind of sealant around the outside of my windows, every where i go they just try selling me normal silicone but its more of a mastic than silicone.

20230721_091646.jpg

Sponsored Links
You want a low modulus neutral cure silicone.

Soudal Silirub N LMN or Dowsil 791

Currents seal looks intact why are you looking to replace?

they are in the bit i pictured but in some some of the corners on the under side of the plinth there is big holes where it has never been sealed

Take a photo some areas on a frame are essential to be open for drainage.

Sponsored Links
this is not the worst one but most of my other windows are sealed all the way round with no gaps at all
20230723_103320.jpg

Large holes should be filled with mortar. A mortar gun helps. For any other exterior sealing, I use hybrid polymer sealant. These are high modulus, meaning minimum shrinking. Anything that shrinks will rip itself apart.

Large hole should be filled with mortar. A mortar gun helps. For any other exterior sealing, I use hybrid polymer sealant. These are high modulus, meaning minimum shrinking. Anything that shrinks will rip itself apart.

Modulus has nothing to do with shrinking.

This is is also a cast cill so you need to ask yourself where is the slip plane?

The term "high modulus" in the context of sealants refers to the stiffness of a sealant or its resistance to being deformed when a load is applied. It does not necessarily correlate with the amount a sealant will shrink at all. You use low modulus neutral cure sealant with uPVC so 1. it bonds appropriately and 2. to accommodate movement.

If you want to get into further detail they also transfer less stress and using an acetoxy silicone can cause uPVC surface changes and adhesion failures.

Dear OP, can you explain why you believe that you need to do anything?

Do you have water ingress on the interior walls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back