What sealant for window after replastering? Told to seal...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering what we're actually supposed to use - specific product. The clue is in my username - i don't have a clue.

We've just had our walls & ceiling re-plastered & the plasterer left us this message:

You will need to silicone around the windows to stop it cracking when you are opening/closing windows

I am assuming they are referring to where i am pointing to in the photo:

If i'm right, then what sort of sealant is suitable? Any old silicone sealant? I've made enough DIY mistakes so far so i'd rather get stick for asking a simple question than make another mistake.

We were in homebase & B&Q looking at sealants & saw this:

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/decora...lant-473018-White-310ml-9254322?skuId=9262021

But reading the back of the tube, it doesn't say silicone sealant. Reading other sealants it specified silicone based, but they weren't for windows & this one didn't.

Would anyone be so kind as to point us in the direction? Name or link?

Also, how do you correctly apply?

I did the sink, where it joins the wall, but this was simple - as there was a gap for the sealant to fill. With the window to the wall (assuming that's where the plasterer is referring to) there is no gap/hole for the sealant to fill, so i imagine the same gun it & finger it approach would just have it spreading all over the shop?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Use caulk as its paint-able.
Masking tape the frame for a neat line about 3mm from the plaster line, Caulk it, Run your finger over it in both directions a couple of times and then use a damp paint brush to smooth it out, Take tape off and your done.

Use caulk as its paint-able.
Masking tape the frame for a neat line about 3mm from the plaster line, Caulk it, Run your finger over it in both directions a couple of times and then use a damp paint brush to smooth it out, Take tape off and your done.
Thanks.

Didn't think of a paint brush. I'd have been using my finger again.

Just a question before i head in to town in a bit...

This caulk, are there different types or is caulk caulk? Is it silicone based, or is the plasterer even correct that it needs to be silicone based?

Basically what i'm wanting to avoid is putting some sort of seal on there that isn't silicone based, then it ends up cracking & i then get the classic "told you so". :LOL:

Decorators caulk is just as flexible as silicone but it can be painted over. Silicone w3ont hold paint and will eventually go manky and black.

Sponsored Links
Ah right. Thanks. I think we have some of that at home.

Out of interest, why then would you use 1 over the other aside from painting? Why would a silicone based sealant be preferred over decorators caulk if they're just as flexible? Does one have different properties to the other making it more suitable for certain jobs?

Was having a look in B&Q today & saw a silicone sealant that claimed to be paintable, but i left it as we're in no rush & was waiting on this thread.

Caulk is usually for internal use only. They do make external use ones as-well though

Just a query-
How do you seal up the nozzle of those tubes ok? I just stick a screw in the end but there has to be something better? It all collects in the nozzle & then hardens so you have to cut it out. Bit of a PITA. Would be handy if they came with their own caps.

Ive got hundreds of nozzles laying about so I don't worry about it. You can get spare ones from ebay or any local glazing place will have loads too

I'm going to get round to this this weekend but just wondered how you guys would recommend tackling the phone line inlet...

The plasterers sort of whacked that off the wall. I have no idea if the wiring is still good though i hope it is.

Would you just do 1 continuous bead around the perimeter of the window anyway or would you miss the bit where the wiring is coming through until it all gets set up & then patch in later? Is it even a good idea to bead over the wiring?

I'd leave it as is, certainly wouldn't use silicone as it just looks horrible after a while and is a pain to get off and redo. See how it goes and try filling cracks with polyfilla. If that fails then a small amount of caulk on as little of the frame as possible.

Oh so you wouldn't put anything on full stop?
I think i'd prefer to. Simply as we've been advised to & I figure it can't do any harm.

I was looking into silicone & caulk. From what I read the only reason not to use silicone was because you can't paint it but can paint caulk. Personally this doesn't bother me & I don't mind a nice white bead around the edge. What I read also suggested silicone was better, minus the painting. I forget why. Maybe it said it's more flexible, stronger, lasts longer. I'm on my phone & don't have the time to search what it was I was reading now.

Oh dear what a mess yesterday :rolleyes: :LOL: Suppose you have to laugh.

So i had at it. I thought - i don't mind if it doesn't get painted, i've seen the look & i don't mind it.
So out comes the silicone. That's some nasty stuff. First time i've worked with it & it's flippin sticky.

Anyway, that wasn't happening so wiped up, scraped off & went again.

I used a tube of something that was labelled as window & something else sealant. Forget what the something else is as i've left the tube at the house. £1.00 special from Poundsaver :LOL: Acrylic based.

So i had at it & much cleaner. Then i noticed a problem ...

When doing the rear of the sink it was easy as you like. Gap between sink & tiles, fill it & there you have it. Nice & tidy.

There's no gap between the window & wall though, so when i go to smooth out the bead, i end up just wiping it clean off, every time.

& there lies the problem.

Any tip on how to leave a bead when i'm not filling an actual gap, so that i don't keep wiping it off?

masking tape and make sure the frame is fully clean where you will be sealing or it wont stick.
I did the masking tape approach with the bathroom & it worked well. Wasn't doing too good with this though.

I got onto the good old YouTube & the auzzie bloke said using a wet brush...so that's exactly what i did & it worked a treat really. Well pleased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back