What sealant for window after replastering? Told to seal...

I best go ahead & ask this one before i potentially waste a bit of time...

Is sealant sealant or can you get bad sealant?

I ask because i did the window & now it's all dried out, it looks sort of creamy against the white uPVC windows.

It's just a tube of window sealant i found in the shed which is still labelled up .... £1.00 from Poundland.

The UniBond stuff in B&Q is getting on £10 so i figured sealant is sealant. I know the old saying - you get what you pay for, but i'm also aware you can pay over the odds for something.

So is the dear stuff worth it? If so, what does it give over the cheap stuff? And as far as looks go - will the white look WHITE, or does it look creamy?

If the dearer stuff (such as that UniBond stuff) is worth it then i don't want to waste time applying this cheap stuff.

Sponsored Links
£10 per tube is just a rip off.
As long as its low modules, Neutral cure silicone it will be fine. Having said that I try to avoid using white silicone wherever possible as it will discolor and attract mold over time.
Caulk that can be painted is the best option when possible.

I forget what the unibond stuff goes for in b&q, I think it's about £7-£8.

Anyway I opted against silicone for the window frames. It was messy stuff. So on the back of advice here I got some window sealant which says it's paintable. Was much easier to work with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back