Sealer for skirting boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit new skirting boards, likely MDF, but want to seal the backs and bottom against moisture. I'll paint the front obvs.
What sealant would you recommend I use please? thanks!

Sponsored Links
are they in a bathroom?

Or is the wall damp?

It's an old house, and will never be entirely bone dry. thy'll be in the kitchen and also the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
An old decorator I know, says a coat of gloss paint... would have thought you could get a quick drying wood preservative or something like that.

What a pva?

Thanks Mr Chibs. PVA will re-activate it if gets wet.
Don't really want to have to undercoat/prime and then paint gloss on the back of the skirting board that won't be seen. Would like to paint a good wood sealer and be done, but which wood sealer would be best for the job I guess is my question.

A kitchen or bathroom is liable to have water on the floor, from spills or mopping. You can isolate the skirting from the floor by the thickness of a coin when you fit it. This will prevent water creeping up.

Not clear if you mean the wall is damp. If it is, there are various things you can do to find and correct the source of water. Oil-based paint, including primer (aluminium wood primer is very durable, usually for outdoor work like windowsills) forms a waterproof layer on the back, and, again, you can space the boards off the bricks using plasplugs in the wall and plastic spacers round the screws (these can also be used to compensate for a wall that is not flat and level). These spacers are sold on the woodwork shelves. I call them horseshoe spacers but this might not be the retailers name. Chip away the plaster behind, before fixing the skirtings, because plaster helps water to rise up a wall.

It is much easier and quicker to prime and undercoat slirtings before you fit them.

In older houses, you will find the boards for electricity meters and fuses are spaced off the wall with ceramic spacers. This is to prevent a damp wall from making the board rot. Especially useful in cellars, but it seems to have been done everywhere.

Thanks John, very helpful. I know the spacers you mean, I can use them to space the board from the floor as well by a mm or 2, then caulk.

Is there not a good wood sealer you know of that I can use for the back and bottom, I'm not really into the idea of undercoating and glossing the side of the skirting board that wont be seen.

There's some stuff Toolstation were selling, see if I can find it...here ya go https://www.toolstation.com/rustins-quick-drying-clear-mdf-primer-sealer/p26630
No idea if it is better than a coat of undercoat or primer, i'll let you know in 10 years (used it on some trims on a bay window).
As a side note, we use MDF for pantomime floors, they're usually painted then sealed with dilute PVA (as a glaze). Stage gets mopped every day, the PVA only reactivates where there's been heat and water (usually heavy fog machines)

PVA is water-soluble, so not much use in resisting damp.

I want to fit new skirting boards, likely MDF, but want to seal the backs and bottom against moisture. I'll paint the front obvs.
What sealant would you recommend I use please? thanks!
duct tape.

Some paint primers are also sealers. Those will resist moisture but unlikely to survive submerged in water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back