sealing a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Live in a 1959/1960 built bungalow with concrete subfloor throughout. Marley tiles were in place when we bought it and we had these taken up on advice from underfloor heating company. We only have underfloor heating in two rooms but decided for the price charged to remove the tiles it made more sense to do the whole house. So, three years on, having renovated and carpeted and laid nice engineered wood flooring we have been faced with a mildew problem at floor level in the bedrooms (all carpeted). Had someone in to do a thermal imaging report and was told we have a small amount of moisture coming up through the floor, probably due to removing the tiles and most of the bitumen they were stuck down with. Moisture readings were not high at all and pretty sure we have some sort of DPM in place between the top layer of screed and the concrete slab as sure we would have had a damp problem not just slight moisture. Have been advised to put a latex screed down. Can anyone recommend one that is good and also should the floor be primed first with anything. I have been looking at the paint on DPM, is this recommended or will the latex screed be enough to keep the moisture from coming up through the carpets? Don't have any mould problems where the wood floor has been laid. Most of these floors have had thermal sealers painted on. Any ideas or advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
A vapour barrier should be used over concrete as it releases moisture continually. A simple polythene sheet would work.

Would a polythene sheet under the latex screed stop the moisture coming up through my carpet? This is what I need to stop as I cannot have another moment of mould growth, its horrible!!! I assume that you would lay it on the existing floor and make sure it laps up over the bottom of the wall, lay the screed then fix the skirts back and relay carpet. Sorry, I am a female and I don't understand any of this stuff :oops:

Sorry, ignore me, I understand now that you mean the concrete releases moisture continually and so I guess by removing the Marley tiles we took away the layer that was stopping it!!! I will take your advice, thanks very much and sorry I am being so ditzy!!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Would a polythene sheet under the latex screed stop the moisture coming up through my carpet? This is what I need to stop as I cannot have another moment of mould growth, its horrible!!! I assume that you would lay it on the existing floor and make sure it laps up over the bottom of the wall, lay the screed then fix the skirts back and relay carpet. Sorry, I am a female and I don't understand any of this stuff :oops:

Don't apologise for being female. There are plenty of men that don't understand it either. :LOL:

Thanks, thats very kind of you to say ;)

So, if I lay a vapour barrier then latex screed on top that should be the end of my moisture problem?? How thick should the screed be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back