Lifting Karndean floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI I have a karndean floor (da vinci) which i thought would be down for life, but after 11 years 1 tile started curling up in a corner and was like that for a year or so. Its in a high traffic area with central heating pipes underneath. We assumed it was the steam cleaner and ignored it. Then we tried no nails in the corners of them all which was obviously a waste of time and another 6 months later, the 3 next to that corner have lifted more, after the heating's been on all winter. On lifting, the surface was very chalky, powdery, dusty - white/orangey colour when swept and the surface has cracking and a few pits in it. The latex is stuck almost entirely on the back of the tiles with the adhesive presumably and only a few small sections of grey uneven screed are visible. Understand this is moisture, but is there a way of knowing if it's a central heating pipe leak rather than the screed being too wet or not dried properly? I don't know if a primer was used - could that have failed rather than the screed, as understand cracking would be expected and isn't necessarily a bad sign. Not done by a Karndean fitter, but an experienced floor fitter, but sub floor done to some extent by my brother who is a builder, but latex was put down by the floor fitter.
Having just had an escape of water claim and given the delay in reporting this issue, not keen on claiming under trace and access so wondered if there was a way of knowing? I read I could duct tape plastic to the surface for 16 hours and see if moisture, but I'm sure as it's been open a while in a draft (doors always open), any moisture will have evaporated wouldn't it? And maybe we should leave the floor open?
Was thinking of doing some sort of temporary repair as the tiles have been discontinued, or just putting them back and covering with a rug, before having to lift the whole floor and start again. My husband is high risk so not keen on having anyone work on it just now. But 1 tile now has a hole in it where my husband tried to chip the latex off which is stuck fast. The glue must have been good! Seems criminal to dig everything up when it's only these 4 plus some hollow ones nearby and 2 tiles across another one is just starting to lift. Can anyone advise on what to use to do a temporary repair? Thank you all in advance. Any advice gratefully received : ). PS DIY is not our forte, but we know noone is going to come out to do 4 or even 8 tiles on a compromised sub floor, believe me I've tried.

Attachments

• FROM MOBILE 490.jpg
    FROM MOBILE 490.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 288
Sponsored Links
To clarify...not a corner of the room, it's the bit that goes out to the patio doors and from the hallway, so used a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back