Sealing a shower against leaks to the room below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a question about fitting and sealing a new shower. At present we have a shower upstairs in our en-suite bathroom and as far as I can see there has been a strong tendency for water to seep through the tiles and through the tongue and groove floor, through to the ceiling of the living- room. I have seen this, not just in our house, but also in a number of similar houses in the area.

I want to remove the tiles in the en-suite and replace the shower tray and start again. Are there any good tips concerning sealing the wooden floor
and shower walls against seepage to the room below, making the grout between the tiles less likely to crack and seep water or any other advice generally?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to seal the shower tray, This is best done using a bathroom silicon sealer, run it around the edge of the tray before you install it, then push it in to situation, then apply more around the edge of the tray and wall.
Do this before you tile.

Are you saying you floor is floorboards which are tiled, that's totally unsuitable, floor has to be overboarded before is can be tiled as the flex in boards will dislodge tiles.

Sponsored Links
use a good quality grout and when it dries put on a waterproofer called grout sealer or something like that , i just cant remember exactly and that should help it to not crack, and what PBD above says is spot on.

once done properly you should have no leaks, nada leako livingroomo :D

There are a couple of tried & tested ways to seal around shower trays but one thing to remember about using silicone before you tile is that nothing much will stick to it. Use it too liberally in the wrong place & it will do more harm than good; personally I would never set a shower tray in silicone. In addition, no tile sealer will prevent the grout & adhesive (even very expensive ones) from cracking if the floor isn’t properly prepared & suitable for tiling over.

This would have been better posted in the Tiling Forum but a very good start would be for you to read the Tiling Sticky & some of the many relevant Forum archive posts.

i know this is an old thread but i didnt see any mention of wether the area had or had not been tanked, possibly the water ingress is coming through the grout,running down the walls onto the floor and then through the floorboards into the ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back