Sealing Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We noticed that we were getting a damp patch under our dinning room window. When I checked the window outside I noticed that a lot of the paint had blown and the seal was broken in places.

I have started stripping everything around the window as I plan on re-sealing the window. However, when I started stripping I noticed that there are big gaps between the brick and the window [see photos].

Therefore, I was wondering what I should fill these gaps with before I reseal?

I also have UPVC facing to go back onto the brick work and was wondering if it was ok to use silicone as an adhesive, if not what should I use?

Would really appreciate a quick response as it is scheduled to rain tonight and I need to get this water tight before it does.

Thanks

23sj0vn.jpg

1jkz1k.jpg

1zox6dc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes the PVC trims are stuck on and sealed around with silicone.
You want low modules, Neutral cure silicone! And make sure the surfaces are clean before you seal them.

Ideally you want expanding foam in the big gaps just as a thermal and sound insulation, but unless your going to take the trims off all the windows and do them its not going to make a huge difference.
Depending how deep the holes are it could take 1-2 hours for the foam to go off.

Cheers mate.

I have now filled the gaps with expanding foam and learned that I should have taped over the UPVC and glass. I will put the beads back on tomorrow if weather permitting.

I do intend on re-sealing all the windows at some point so will do the same to them when I do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back