Sealing An expansion Vessel Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
I recently bought from Toolstation an expansion vessel and fitting kit. I have fitted it along with a new PRV to my C.H. sysytem and it has cured the presure problems I was having. However thre is a leak from the top of the expansion vessel through the threads of the union. I have tried to seal it twice with thread tape without success.
Any suggestions as to how I could cure this (gas spec tape?).
Thanks for your Help.
Ian

Sponsored Links
Hi
thanks for your reply & sorry for the delay in answering.
I am not certain but from memory I would say the male thread on the vessel is parrallel not tapered.
Ian

Either
1) use a washer. Rubber, 3/3" should do
or
2) put the right amount of tape on in a manner what it doesn't slip off
or
3) Use Loctite 55 "string"
or
4) put LS-X or similar sealant all over the ptfe tape
or
etc!

Sponsored Links
In my experience the only way to seal parallel thread reliably is with a washer.

make sure you are using 'multiwrap' ptfe as its much easier to get a good seal with.

had no problem today changing a heat exchanger with parallel threads and ptfe only. :D

Some people on here, believe other people on here are to==sers for using ptfe, can't be convinced yet not to use it.

not just seen to be. is.

must go now . done my 45, now 8 'standby' busy day tommorow, thankyou children in need.

iansmith7";p="1804923 said:
Hi Everyone
I recently bought from Toolstation an expansion vessel and fitting kit. I have fitted it along with a new PRV to my C.H. sysytem and it has cured the presure problems I was having. However thre is a leak from the top of the expansion vessel through the threads of the union. I have tried to seal it twice with thread tape without success.
Any suggestions as to how I could cure this (gas spec tape?).
Thanks for your Help.
Ian[/quot

Your not doing it right.

Getting back to the OP's question, I always find that a fibre washer is the only correct and always effective solution to sealing these connections.

I hope the OP set the air pressure correctly.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back