Sealing around the bath? Whats going on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
My parents decided to let a painter and decorater to fit a bath a few years back! The seal around the bath just dosnt stick, bit of a problem when where having showers as the water finds its way down the side of the bath into the kitchen, Tried re-sealing it numerous times but always seams to have the same problem.

Going to have a look at it in the week, Whats the correct procedure for sealing?
And is there anything i should be looking for that could be the cause of it splitting all the time?

Sponsored Links
acrylic bath :?: only seal that will stick is Neutral Curing Silicone :idea: not the acetoxy stuff - that smells of vinegar. It will fill the gap but it don`t adhere

Probably wrong choice of silicone as NigeF said; use a neutral cure, low modulus silicone but it won’t stick to soap, clean the faces thoroughly first. Too much movement in the bath could also be causing problems.

Fill the bath first. ;)

Mr. W.
& leave it overnight so the silicone can cure before you empty it. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response guys,

I was thinking of taking a look under the bath before i do it to check the supporting legs and floorboards to see if theres any movment.

If i find there is movment there can i raise the legs a little and slide a board or some battons under there to spread the weight a bit?

If you’ve got excessive movement it could be due to a number of reasons & it's unlikely just sliding a board under the feet will achieve much, you need to establish why it's moving.

right ok,

Im guessing the first thing to check is if all the legs are actually on the floor?

Any other common things i should be looking for

Applying over old stuff will never work. Cut the old stuff out with a sharp blade, get rid of all of it and then cleat both surfaces.

Then as others have stated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back