Sealing DG window units.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Given that most modern DG window installations have interior seals, is it standard to seal the exterior with a bead of clear silicone?
2. Is it bad practice to apply double sided tape at the rear of the frame recess?
3. I've seen angled drainage holes in the bottom rails of wood DG frames. Is this a good idea?

Sponsored Links
--tom said:
1. Given that most modern DG window installations have interior seals, is it standard to seal the exterior with a bead of clear silicone?
No, it's not standard.
2. Is it bad practice to apply double sided tape at the rear of the frame recess?
For what reason?
3. I've seen angled drainage holes in the bottom rails of wood DG frames. Is this a good idea?
Yes, if the rain get behind the frame will drain out external.

--tom said:

1 Are you talking about putting a sealed unit (glazing only) in a wooden frame? If so you would use a bead of silicon to bed the unit into the frame and give a weather tight seal.

2. The double sided tape is normally used on UPVC windows and is a security tape to make removal of the unit more difficult for would-be intruders.

3. Drain holes definitely a good idea.

If the dg unit is bedded in silicone then when the silicone-wood and the silicone-glass junctions fail, water can get in and be trapped. This increases the danger of the dg unit's seal failing with resulting misting up. If the unit is held into the wooden frame with double sided glazing tape it can be suspended with a small air gap at the base which stays dry, especially if there are drainage holes. With the window not sitting in a puddle ther is less risk of failure. A bead of silicone on top the the glazing tape add belt to braces, reducing the risk further.

Sponsored Links
thank you all for the advice.
Biffvernon, i cant visualise what you suggest, do you know of a pic anywhere?
Say: 1. the existing wooden frame rebate clean and clear.
2. set the tape against the back(upright) of the bottom rebate.
3. silicone the back of the jambs and head rebate.
4. insert the DG unit.
5. do not silicone the exterior at the bottom rebate.
6. silicone the ext. sides and head of the unit to the wooden frame.
7. the weep holes are actually thro the bottom of the rebate.
Is that it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back