Sealing dusty concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Thanks for your time.

I'm looking to seal the concrete floor in our extension, the floor has been down for around 2 months it will eventually be half tiled, half wooden floored. Im sick of the dust getting dragged around the houe when the kids go in the extension is there a recommended product I can use to seal the floor but still enable it to be tiled in say another 6-12 months?

Ive seen the floor sealer and hardners but read once applied the tiles will have no bond to the concrete itself.

Could I use PVA waterd down say 5-1? Maybe a couple coats?

Any ideas please folks?

Sponsored Links
PVA could be used, problem is its not damp proof, i.e. if tiled over , the dampness from the atmosphere and washing tiles could loosen them. Also as used bare, I wonder for the short term it will remain sticky. EVA could be better (waterproof wood glue), sort off in its name. If you could get a small amount, SRB and cement, absolutely water proof. its a very hard leathery stuff when it goes off. When its tiling time, second coat with a little sand in it to provide a key for the tile cement. which makes me think a vacuum followed by a wash of dilute tile cement might be enough and the remainder you could use for the proper job.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't stay sticky. Don't see the problem happening with water but if worried could use waterproof PVA. PVA not recommended by some makers of wall tile adhesive but shouldn't be a problem with cementitious floor tile adhesive.

Yup PVA, I had a garage that was super dusty, took £5 worth of PVA, 2 coats diluted, went over with £15 floor paint and I got a really nice floor now for almost nothing :)

And best of all No more nasty concrete dust, I was figting and sweeping up that stuff for 2years+ , PVA was all it needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back