Sealing External Door From Drafts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to seal my front door from drafts and have two problems which I'm not sure how to solve.

1) There is a gap at the bottom of the door and there isn't a weather bar. It is just a bit of solid oak. Here it the threshold:

IMG_6362.jpg

Here is the gap:

IMG_6363.jpg

2) The lock on the door has been installed in a such a way that there isn't space for a seal around it. e

IMG_6360-e1441542900945.jpg

What do you think I should do to seal the door? Any advise / tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
At the bottom of the door, the question is whether you're happy to interfere with the smart appearance of the wood. If you are then there are plenty of draughtproof thresholds that you can consider; have a look at the range from Stormguard. Otherwise you may find a "drop down" seal that fits to the bottom of the door, but they are more often used on internal doors for e.g. soundproofing.

At the lock, you should be abe to join th gap between the existing seals with a short length of stick-on seal.

Door brush [or rubber] at base will seal , you could fit external door seal [face fix] or use a book fold seal on the top, hinge and lock side

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help and advice. It is much appreciated. I've ended up replacing the seal and also adding a brush seal to the bottom - that has made a big difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back