Sealing Gaskets windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you try different seals from the ones fitted.

I ask because of a single layer gasket like the one I have fitted. Isn't going to produce as much thermal protection as one with two layers? Mine is the R4055, was thinking maybe the B009.

Windows open from the bottom out, they're in a loft dorma.

Thanks

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes seen the packs again I agree you won't know until you try. I'd assume it's tension all round and fit in the groove.

Yes seen the packs again I agree you won't know until you try. I'd assume it's tension all round and fit in the groove.
I can't comment on your exact windows, however normally with gasket you don't want to stretch it when fitting. It should be installed under its normal tension if that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
As diy_fun_uk says definetly don't stretch it , or it will eventually ' shrink ' back and leave a gap. Gaskets are one of those things that are incredibily hard to be 100% accurate about as a replacement , as they are measured in such small sizes and each ' groove ' they go in can be different ( eg that B009 may well just slip out of the groove being 0.6mm narrower ) . Best bet is the gasket samples , readily available on the likes of Evil BAY, but bear in mind they are only a small selection of gaskets available. And in answer to your question about which one is best , as long as they keep the water and wind/air out , it will make no noticeable difference . One is a ' bubble gasket ' one is a ' flipper ' gasket , and they work is differing ways

As diy_fun_uk says definetly don't stretch it , or it will eventually ' shrink ' back and leave a gap. Gaskets are one of those things that are incredibily hard to be 100% accurate about as a replacement , as they are measured in such small sizes and each ' groove ' they go in can be different ( eg that B009 may well just slip out of the groove being 0.6mm narrower ) . Best bet is the gasket samples , readily available on the likes of Evil BAY, but bear in mind they are only a small selection of gaskets available. And in answer to your question about which one is best , as long as they keep the water and wind/air out , it will make no noticeable difference . One is a ' bubble gasket ' one is a ' flipper ' gasket , and they work is differing ways

Surely more material, in general, will offer more resistance to water/wind especially from a thermal point of view. I guess I will have to measure the gasket more closely and make a choice and do a bit of trial and error. At least it's not a generally expensive material to play around with.

Surely more material, in general, will offer more resistance to water/wind especially from a thermal point of view. I guess I will have to measure the gasket more closely and make a choice and do a bit of trial and error. At least it's not a generally expensive material to play around with.
Maybe try speaking to someone like this for advice based on your window design? It's not necessarily about more material in all cases, it's about ensuring you have the correct gasket for the window in terms of how the openers open and close/seal.

JA Seals Ltd | Industrial Brush Strip and Garage Door Seal Manufacturer

Maybe try speaking to someone like this for advice based on your window design? It's not necessarily about more material in all cases, it's about ensuring you have the correct gasket for the window in terms of how the openers open and close/seal.

JA Seals Ltd | Industrial Brush Strip and Garage Door Seal Manufacturer

There nearly 30 years old and on the property when I bought it, think it's safe to say they no longer are trading. The ones in question are blown a little in the corner of the main pain, so it's probably just getting on with it myself as a short-term fix.
Thanks though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back